The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in Welch Hall 290 (Admissions & Records). However, we will continue to meet your needs virtually and we can assist you by email at finaid@csudh.edu or by phone at 310-243-3691.

Please provide your first and last name, CSUDH ID number, phone number, and your questions in your email.

For the latest updates regarding COVID-19 and the self-certification process, please visit csudh.edu/together.

Frequently Asked Questions

How do I contact the Financial Aid Office?

At this time, when you call the Financial Aid Office at 310-243-3691, you may leave a message. Be sure to include your name, student ID number and why you are calling. Be sure to speak clearly. A staff member will send a response to your CSUDH email account within 24 hours.

How do I apply for financial aid?

Visit our Financial Aid application web page.

Do I need to submit tax forms?

The Financial Aid Office will send a document request letter or an email to your CSUDH email account if you are required to submit an IRS tax return transcript(s). The federal government performs a random selection of applications in order to verify that the information submitted on the FAFSA is accurate. If your application is selected for this process, you will be asked to submit your parents’ and/or your own IRS federal tax return transcript(s) along with a Verification Form.

How do I request a tax transcript?

An IRS tax return transcript, free of charge, can be requested from the IRS in one of three ways:

If my parent(s) or my income has been reduced because of the COVID-19, what can I do?

The Financial Aid Office will review on a case-by-case basis reduced family income. Students will need to complete and submit an Income Adjustment Appeal Form. You will be asked to provide supporting documentation. Processing will take 2-4 weeks. The form is available online at https://www.csudh.edu/Assets/csudh-sites/financial-aid/docs/2020_2021_financial_aid_forms/2020_2021_Income_Adjustment_Appeal.pdf

What types of financial aid will I be considered for?

Based on your calculated financial need, you will be considered for grants, loans, or student employment. The federal programs are Federal Pell Grant, Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant, and Federal Direct Loan. The state of California offers its residents Cal Grant and Cal Grant B (a GPA Verification Form is required). The CSU offers State University Grants and Educational Opportunity Grants.

How do I get financial aid for the summer term? Will my summer classes be dropped?

Did you know financial aid is available during the summer term? If you are planning to attend Summer Session and would like to be considered for summer aid, the Summer Aid Request Form will be available Spring 2021.


How do I submit my financial aid documents?

Submit your documents to the Financial Aid Office via financial aid dropbox.

How do I apply for scholarships?

The university offers a variety of institutional scholarships based on a student’s academic record. Scholarship applications are usually available in October on our Scholarships website. A wide range of scholarships can be found there. The University Library also maintains scholarship books at the Reference Desk for students to review. You can also conduct an online scholarship search using FastWeb.

When will I receive my financial aid check?

To receive a financial aid disbursement, students must be enrolled in the proper number of units, must not have any university holds on their student record, must not be conditionally admitted to the university, and have submitted all requested documents by the deadline. Student Financial Services will process your refund via Direct Deposit or mail you a paper refund check a few days prior to the first week of classes.

If I do not live with my parents, will I be considered an independent student?

No. Whether you reside with your parents or not, the federal government has specific criteria to determine your dependency status. If you are an undergraduate student and at least 24 years old, or you have dependents other than a spouse, or are a graduate student, you will be considered independent. However, if you are an undergraduate student who is less than 24 years old but have special circumstances, a financial aid counselor will require specific documentation and review your case on an individual basis.

How do I apply for a student loan? Is there a separate application?

When you apply for financial aid, you will automatically be considered for a student loan. CSUDH does not require a separate application. More information about the types of financial aid available can be found on our website.

What is Federal Work-Study and how do I apply?

The Federal Work-Study program provides funds for employing students who qualify for financial aid. Students will be considered for an award by having submitted their FAFSA by the March 2 (9:00 p.m. PST) deadline, having submitted any requested documents by the May 11 deadline, and demonstrating financial need greater than $1,000. Also, the student must have indicated interest in the Work-Study program on their FAFSA. Students work in a variety of departmental offices and are paid once a month. Students may not work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)?

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP) is the process in which the Financial Aid Office monitors whether a student is in good academic standing. Read more about CSUDH’s SAP Policy here.

What if I need to repeat a class?

Students are only eligible to receive financial aid once when retaking previously passed classes. For students that have previously passed a class and subsequently failed the same class, any additional attempt cannot be included in your enrollment status for determining aid eligibility. The Financial Aid Office will identify students who are repeating previously passed coursework and reduce their awards based on the adjusted enrollment status. Students will be notified on their ToroMail email account and directed to the Student Center to view their revised awards. Repeated classes may also count against Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP), which must be taken into consideration when determining aid eligibility. Read more about CSUDH’s SAP Policy here.

What is CSUDH’s federal Title IV school code?

CSUDH’s federal school code if 001141.

Can I receive financial aid during the summer session?

Yes. Submit a Summer Financial Aid Request Form, which can be found on our Forms web page.

What is an Entrance Interview session?

If you plan to borrow a student loan, federal regulations require that students attend an Entrance Interview session or complete the U.S. Department of Education’s Online Entrance Counseling Session at StudentLoans.gov. The purpose of this session is to provide students with information about the William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Programs. This discussion will include information about students’ rights and responsibilities, repayment options, deferments, and consequences of default.

What happens to my financial aid if I decide to withdraw from the university?

Students are required to notify the Financial Aid Office before withdrawing from all classes. This must be done so that a student’s financial aid eligibility can be reevaluated. If you withdraw prior to the end of the semester, you will be expected to repay the funds which exceed those expenses required to cover your educational and related living expenses for that portion of the semester which you were enrolled. Any fee refunds due you from the campus will automatically revert to the financial aid account(s) from which they were disbursed. If you withdraw after the third week of classes, you are still responsible for the payment of your fees.

What does it cost to attend CSUDH?

University fees are charged based on your enrollment status. Click here for the latest cost information.

What is the financial aid deadline?

The priority filing deadline for the FAFSA is March 2 (9:00 p.m. PST). The FAFSA (Fee Application For Student Aid) must be completed by this date to receive priority consideration for funds. The deadline to submit additional documents for the 2020-2021 school year is May 7, 2020.

What if my and/or my parents’ income has been reduced since I filed the FAFSA?

Complete and submit an Income Adjustment Appeal Form [PDF] to the Financial Aid Office. With your appeal, you must submit a copy of your (or your parents’) final paycheck stub, documentation of unemployment benefits, and an estimate of earnings income for the remainder of the calendar year. An adjustment to your contribution will then be based on projected income (January 1-December 31).

Where can I get my deferment completed?

Submit your deferment form to the Admissions and Records Office (WH C290) for completion.