Types of Financial Aid

Types of Financial Aid

The Financial Aid & Scholarships Office is open Monday – Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. in Welch Hall 290 (Admissions & Records). However, we will continue to meet your needs virtually and we can assist you by email at finaid@csudh.edu or by phone at 310-243-3691.

Please provide your first and last name, CSUDH ID number, phone number, and your questions in your email.

For the latest updates regarding COVID-19 and the self-certification process, please visit csudh.edu/together.

In addition to scholarships, many other types of Financial Aid are available to CSUDH students, including grants, loans, and the work-study program. Scroll down and click on the links below to get more information about specific programs.

Have more questions? Contact us so we can help you figure out what you're eligible for and what works best for you.


Federal Pell Grants

The Federal Pell Grant Program provides grants (funds that do not require repayment) to eligible undergraduates and first-time teaching credential students who demonstrate need. Students pursuing a teaching credential are required to be enrolled at least half-time (6 units) each semester. Full-time awards range from $639 to $6,345 per academic year.

Video: Can I receive a Pell Grant if I go to school year-round?

 Can I receive a Pell Grant if I go to school year-round?

Lifetime Limit for Pell Grants

Pursuant to federal regulations, a student's elgibility to receive a Federal Pell Grant will be twelve (12) semesters (or the equivalent). This equates to a 6-year limit to receive Federal Pell Grant funds for undergraduate and first-time credential candidates. For Teaching Credential program candidates, any Pell Grant funds used as an undergraduate student "count" toward their potential grant eligibility as a Credential student.

For information on how the lifetime limits for Pell Grants are calculated for the "equivalent of six years" visit:

State University Grants

State University Grants (SUG) are awarded to undergraduate and graduate students who are California residents in a regular university degree program. This grant is awarded to students who submitted their FAFSA by the March 2 (9:00 p.m. PST) deadline and who demonstrate financial need. SUG awards range from $1,665 to $3,588, depending on enrollment and classification. Students must meet the following criteria:

  • Be enrolled at least half-time in stateside courses (6 units undergraduate/credential or 4 units graduate)
  • Undergraduate students cannot have accumulated more than 150 semester units
  • Undergraduate transfer students cannot have accumulated more than 75 semester units at the CSU
  • Teaching credential students cannot accumulate more than 30 units. Please note: Advanced Placement, International Baccalaureate, Military credit, pre-baccalaureate credit, and credit by examination will not count against the new SUG limits.
  • Masters students cannot accumulate more than 125% of the required units according to their published program length.
  • Students pursuing a certificate, non-teaching credential, second bachelor's, second teach credential, or second master's degree are not SUG-eligible, regardless of where they received their previous degree(s).

State University Grant Disbursement Proration Rules:

In accordance with the disbursement rules established by the California State University Chancellor's Office, State University Grant funds must be prorated for students based on their enrollment.

Class StandingUnit EnrollmentTuition/Fee Amount*
Teaching Credential7-12+$3,330
Teaching Credential6$1,932
Teaching Credential1-5Ineligible

Students who participate in the Older Adult Fee Waiver Program, receive vocational rehabilitation stipends, are enrolled through Extended Education (Alcohol & Drug Certificate, Orthotics & Prosthetics Therapy, CSD, MSW, MSQA, NCRP, etc.), recipients of Cal Grant A or B, and students whose fees are paid by another party are NOT eligible for an SUG Award.

Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grants (FSEOG)

Federal Supplementary Educational Opportunity Grants are awarded to undergraduates who demonstrate exceptional financial need. Awards range from $200 to $800 per academic year.

Educational Opportunity Program Grants (EOP)

Educational Opportunity Program Grants are awarded to students who have been admitted to the university through the Educational Opportunity Program. Students must demonstrate financial need to qualify for this grant. Grants range from $200 to $800, depending on financial need and the availability of funding.

Cal Grant Programs

Cal Grant A is awarded to California residents by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC). These awards are based on a student's grade point average and financial need. This grant is awarded to pay the state university fee.

Cal Grant B is also a state grant awarded to California residents to pay for living expenses (and sometimes the state university fee). The fee awards are the same as those for Cal Grant A. First-Year student awards are limited to the non-fee college costs such as living expenses, books and supplies, transportation, etc. When renewed by sophomores, juniors, and seniors, a Cal Grant B may also cover all or part of the state university fee.

Students must maintain half-time enrollment to be eligible for either Cal Grant Program. Cal Grant, the award is limited to four academic years. Depending on your education level, Cal Grant eligibility may be less than four academic years. To graduate in 4 years, a student needs to complete 15 units per semester (30 units per academic year). Create a plan using Smart Planner with your academic advisor to ensure you will graduate in 4 years.

Cal Grant Fund Disbursement Proration Rules:

In accordance with the disbursement rules established by the California Student Aid Commission (CSAC), Cal Grant funds must be prorated for students who enroll less than full-time (12 units). These proration rules apply to all programs – Cal Grant A, B, and B-Stipend.

Cal Grant A and B recipients who plan to enroll in a Teaching Credential Program may be eligible to renew their Cal grant award for an additional year. The additional year of payment is provided to students who are seeking an initial teaching credential and cannot be used for other graduate level programs. Certain requirements must be met.

Cal Grant Fund Disbursement Per Semester
Unit Enrollment12+ units9-11 units6-8 units1-5 units
Eligibility Percentage100%75%50%Ineligible
Tuition Fee Award Amount$2,871$2,153$1,4360
Access Award Amount$824$618$4120
Cal Grant A - Students with Dependents Access Award Amount$3,000$2,250$1,5000
Cal Grant B - Students with Dependents Access Award Amount$3,000$2,250$1,5000

Cal Grant A and B Recipients with Dependent Children

Cal Grant recipients with dependent children may be eligible for an increase in their access award of up to $6,008.  Dependent children must be under 18 years old and receive more than 50% of their support from the student. Students are required to self-certify their eligibility for this grant on the WebGrants 4 Students website at https://mygrantinfo.csac.ca.gov/.

For more detailed information about CSAC awards, visit the California Student Aid Commission.

Students who participate in the Older Adult Fee Waiver Program, receive vocational rehabilitation stipends, are enrolled through Extended Education (Alcohol & Drug Certificate, Orthotics & Prosthetics Therapy, CSD, MSW, MSQA, NCRP, Certificate Programs etc.), recipients of State University Grant, and students whose fees are paid by another party are NOT eligible for a Cal Grant A or B Fee award.
TEACH Grants

Through the College Cost Reduction and Access Act of 2007, Congress created the Teacher Education Assistance for College and Higher Education (TEACH) Grant Program, which provides grants to students who intend to teach in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families. 

Request a TEACH Grant

To request a CSUDH TEACH Grant, complete the TEACH Grant Request Form found on our Forms web page. If you answer "Yes" to all questions, submit the completed form to the Financial Aid Office.

Student Eligibility Requirements

To receive a TEACH Grant at Dominguez Hills, you must:
  • Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA), although you do not have to demonstrate financial need
  • Be a U.S. Citizen or eligible non-citizen
  • Be a junior or senior in the Liberal Studies Program, or enrolled in a first teaching credential or graduate program leading towards teaching in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves students from low-income families
  • Be enrolled in coursework that is necessary to begin a career in teaching or plan to complete such coursework; such coursework may include subject area courses (e.g., math courses for a student who intends to be a math teacher)
  • Meet certain academic achievement requirements (generally, scoring above the 75th percentile on a college admissions test or maintaining a cumulative GPA of at least 3.25)
  • Sign a TEACH Grant Agreement To Serve (ATS)
  • Complete the Entrance Counseling Requirement


There are conditions to receiving this grant that are not placed on other grants. Please make sure you understand these conditions prior to receiving the money.

In exchange for receiving a TEACH Grant, you must agree to serve as a full-time teacher in a high-need field in a public or private elementary or secondary school that serves low-income students. As a recipient of a TEACH Grant, you must teach for at least four (4) academic years within eight (8) calendar years of completing the program of study for which you received a TEACH Grant.

IMPORTANT: If you fail to complete this service obligation, all amounts of the TEACH Grants that you received will be converted to a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan. You must then repay this loan to the U.S. Department of Education. You will be charged interest from the date the grant(s) was disbursed.

High-Need Field

High-need fields are the specific subject areas identified below:

  • Bilingual Education and English Language Acquisition
  • Foreign Language
  • Mathematics
  • Reading Specialist
  • Science
  • Special Education
  • Other identified teacher shortage areas as of the time you begin teaching in that field; these are teacher subject shortage areas (not geographic areas) that are listed in the Department of Education's Annual Teacher Shortage Area Nationwide Listing.

Schools Serving Low-Income Students

Schools serving low-income students include any elementary or secondary school that is listed in the Department of Education's Annual Directory of Designated Low-Income Schools for Teacher Cancellation Benefits.

Teach Grant Agreement to Serve

Each year you receive a TEACH Grant, you must sign a TEACH Grant Agreement To Serve. The TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve specifies the conditions under which the grant will be awarded, the teaching service requirements, and includes an acknowledgment by you that you understand that if you do not meet the teaching service requirements you must repay the grant as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Loan, with interest accrued from the date the grant funds were disbursed. Specifically, the TEACH Grant Agreement to Serve will provide that:

  • For each TEACH Grant-eligible program for which you received TEACH Grant funds, you must serve as a full-time teacher for a total of at least four (4) academic years within eight (8) calendar years after you completed or withdrew from the academic program for which you received the TEACH Grant.
  • You must perform the teaching service as a highly-qualified teacher at a low-income school. The term "highly-qualified teacher" is defined in section 9101(23) of the Elementary and Secondary Education Act of 1965 or in section 602(10) of the Individuals With Disabilities Education Act.
  • Your teaching service must be in a high-need field.
  • You must comply with any other requirements that the Department of Education determines to be necessary.


If you receive a TEACH Grant but do not complete the required teaching service, as explained above, you will be required to repay the grants as a Federal Direct Unsubsidized Stafford Loan, with interest charged from the date of each TEACH Grant disbursement. If you are not already committed to teaching a high-need subject in a low-income school, please use caution when considering this possible source of funds. According to some estimates, only 20 percent of students who participate in the TEACH Grant Program will be able to use the funds as grants, while many students will see their funds converted to loans with accumulated interest.

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants

Iraq and Afghanistan Service Grants are for students who are not Federal Pell Grant eligible; whose parent or guardian died as a result of military service in Iraq or Afghanistan after September 11, 2001; and who, at the time of the parent's or guardian's death, were less than 24 years old or were enrolled at least part-time at an institution of higher education.

Middle Class Scholarships

For Undergraduates and Students Pursuing a Teaching Credential

The Middle Class Scholarship (MCS) is for undergraduates and students pursuing a teaching credential with family assets up to $184,000 and income up to $184,000.  Students must meet the following requirements: be a California resident; be a U.S. citizen, permanent resident or have AB 540* student status; meet certain income/asset and other financial aid standards; Maintain Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP); not be in default on a student loan; and, must not be incarcerated.

MCS eligibility may up to 4 years depending on education level when awarded.  MCS is not offered in set amounts and may vary by student and institution. The award amount is determined after you are awarded any federal, state, and institutional need-based grants for which you are eligible. The final award amount will be based on the number of students eligible for the MCS statewide and the funding allocated by the State Budget. Pursuant to Education Code section 70023, MCS award amounts may be reduced at any time during the academic year if is determined that the funds appropriated are insufficient to cover the cost of the projected MCS awards. 

MCS disbursement occurs after the census date each semester (usually after the 5th week of the semester).

*AB 540 students are subject to the following qualifications:

  • Attend a California high school for a minimum of 3 years or attain credits equivalent to 3 or more years of high school coursework and have a combination of 3 or more years at a California elementary or secondary school as set forth in AB 2000.
  • Graduate from a California high school or pass the California High School Proficiency Exam (CHSPE) or get a General Equivalency Diploma (GED);
  • Enroll in an accredited and qualified California college or university; and,
  • If applicable, fill out an affidavit stating your intent to legalize your immigration status as soon as possible.

For more information visit www.csac.ca.gov.  

Emergency Grant

Funding for this grant program is made possible by generous donations from CSUDH Faculty, Staff, Alumni, Students, and Community Members to assist students with unexpected expenses that could lead to withdrawal from the semester. The minimum grant is $250 and can be approved up to $1,000. Students will be awarded at the most one grant per academic year. To apply for this grant, students must complete an application and submit supporting documents via email to iheart@csudh.edu. Each case will be evaluated on its own merit.

Graduate Business Grant
  • Must be a California resident
  • Filed a FAFSA or CA Dream Application by March 2 deadline
  • Must be assessed a Graduate Business Professional Fee
  • Expected Family Contribution (EFC) that does not exceed 50% of the standard cost of attendance for students in the state-supported MBA program.
  • Students enrolled in an MBA program through Extended Education are not eligible for this grant, because Extended Education course fees do not include the Graduate Business Fee.
  • Need based, does not require repayment


Federal Work Study (FWS) Program

The Federal Work Study (FWS) Program provides funds to employ students (on-campus or off-campus) who qualify for financial aid. Students will be considered for an award by having submitted their FAFSA by the established deadline, having submitted any requested documents by their established deadline, and demonstrating financial need greater than $1,000. Students must be enrolled at least half-time to be considered for this program. Awards range from $1,000 to $5,000.

The first day a student may begin work for the 2020-2021 school year is September 1, 2020. The amount a student can earn is limited to the amount which appears on the Acceptance Letter. Students may not work more than 20 hours per week while classes are in session. During semester breaks, up to 40 hours per week can be worked.

In order to receive a paycheck, students are required to complete a timesheet. Your timesheet is to be submitted to your supervisor by the 27th of each month. Monthly paychecks will be based on your hourly wage and number of hours worked. Paychecks are normally available on the 12th of each month.

To assist students with securing employment, students should visit our website for a list of available positions via Handshake. It is recommended that the job search process begin as early as possible to ensure the best selection of jobs. Remember, jobs and funds are limited and we cannot guarantee that you will find a job.

Loan Programs

William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan Programs

The Federal Direct Loan Program provides low-interest, long-term loans through the university. These funds must be repaid. Funding for these loans comes from the Department of Education. These loans can be subsidized or unsubsidized. Eligible students must be admitted, in good academic standing, and enrolled at least half-time in a program leading to a degree, teaching credential, or approved certificate. If you drop below half-time during a term or semester, the remainder of your loan may be canceled.

Loan Types

If you are eligible for a Federal Direct Loan, we have recommended one (either subsidized, unsubsidized, or a combination of both) as part of your financial aid offer. Read the following paragraphs to learn the differences between the subsidized and unsubsidized Federal Direct Loans. If you decide to borrow a Federal Direct Loan, you are required to complete an Entrance Counseling and sign a loan promissory note.

Subsidized Federal Direct Loan

The amount of a subsidized Federal Direct Loan you can borrow is the difference between the cost of education and your resources (family contribution, financial aid, and any other assistance you receive from the school and outside sources). However, you cannot borrow more than the federal maximum. If you are eligible for a subsidized Federal Direct Loan, the federal government pays the interest for you until your repayment begins. Loans first disbursed after October 1, 2020 and before October 1, 2021 will be assessed a 1.057 percent fee from each disbursement of your loan. These charges do not reduce the amount you are required to pay.

Unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan

The unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan can replace all or part of the family contribution. However, the amount of the loan cannot be more than the difference between the cost of education and any financial assistance you will receive from the school and any outside source (including the subsidized Federal Direct Loan). If you are a dependent student, your total Federal Direct Loan (subsidized, unsubsidized, or a combination of both) cannot exceed the federal maximum for a subsidized loan. Interest accrues on the unsubsidized Federal Direct Loan while you are in school and during the six-month grace period before repayment begins. You have the option of paying the interest or adding the interest to the principal. Loans first disbursed October 1, 2020 and before October 1, 2021 will be assessed a 1.057 percent fee from each disbursement of your loan. These charges do not reduce the amount you are required to pay.

Loan Eligibility

The amount you may borrow is determined by your financial aid specialist. The federal maximums are:

Grade LevelDependentIndependent
First-Year Student$5,500 ($3,500 maximum subsidized loan)$9,500 ($3,500 maximum subsidized loan)
Sophomore$6,500 ($4,500 maximum subsidized loan)$10,500 ($4,500 maximum subsidized loan)
Junior/Senior; Second Bachelor$7,500 ($5,500 maximum subsidized loan)$12,500 ($5,500 maximum subsidized loan)
Credential Students$5,500 maximum$12,500 ($5,500 maximum subsidized loan)
Graduate StudentsN/A$20,500
  • Total maximum amount of Direct Loans allowed for undergraduates is $57,500 ($31,000 dependent maximum) of which no more than $23,000 may be in subsidized funds.
  • Seniors graduating in the fall semester are subject to proration of their Direct Loan amount, based on the number of their registered units. This is a federal requirement.
  • Total maximum amount of Direct Loans allowed for Master's degree students is $138,500, of which no more than $65,500 may have been in subsidized funds.

First-time Borrower Requirements

Before receiving a William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan, first-time student borrowers must complete a Loan Entrance Counseling Session and Electronic Master Promissory Note (EMPN). You may fulfill both requirements online at StudentLoans.gov.

Interest Rate, Origination Fees, and Repayment

For the 2020-2021 academic year, the interest rate was fixed at 2.75% for undergraduate subsidized and unsubsidized loans, and 4.30% for graduate unsubsidized loans. There is a 1.057% origination fee.

Repayment normally begins six months following graduation or when you cease to be enrolled at least half-time. Payments and length of repayment period depend on the size of your debt, but must be a minimum of $600 per year. Under special circumstances, repayment of a Federal Direct Loan that is not in default may be deferred or canceled. Repayment, deferment, and cancellation are handled by the Direct Loan Servicing Center.

Parent Loans

Complete information about Parent Loans can be found here.

California Dream Loans

The California Dream Loan is a subsidized loan program for undergraduate students with a valid California Dream Act application and a valid AB540 affidavit on file with the Admission & Records Office. Effective 2020-21, teaching credential and graduate students may also receive consideration. The California Dream Loan is money that must repay with interest. Effective July 1, 2021 the California Dream Loan program will have a new interest rate of 3.73%. The interest rate is subject to change annually and does not accrue interest while you are enrolled at least half-time, during periods of approved deferment, or during the 6-month grace period before you enter repayment. You will be responsible for the interest charged at all other times. California Dream Loans are to be repaid in monthly installments over a 10-year period and have a minimum payment of $50 a month. There is no penalty for prepayment. Repayment begins at the end of a 6-month grace period. The grace period begins once you graduate, leave school, or enroll less than half-time. Receipt of funds in one year does not guarantee availability or receipt of funds in subsequent years.

Private Education Loans

Private Education Loans are offered by private lenders and are credit-based consumer loans used solely to cover education costs. These loans tend to cost more than the educational loans offered by the federal government but are less expensive than credit card debt. It is the student’s responsibility to research private education loan resources, select a lender, and apply for a private education loan via the selected lender's process. Once a lender has been selected and the application is processed, the lender will send the Financial Aid Office a request for certification of your enrollment and cost of attendance.

There are four important things you’ll need to think about when considering to borrow a private education loan:

  1. Know about interest rates
  2. Compare the differences between fixed- and variable-rate loans
  3. Understand the factor in a loan’s interest rate
  4. Choose the interest rate type

For more information on private education loans, please visit http://www.finaid.org/loans/privateloan.phtml. A private education loan may be right for you if scholarships, grants, and federal student loans do not cover your total education-related costs. You also might not want to muddle credit cards, home equity, savings, and investments with your tuition fees costs. It may also be an option if you are not applying for traditional financial aid but still need money to cover your education-related costs.

Jewish Free Loan Program

The Jewish Free Loan Association (JFLA) offers interest-free loans to students of all faiths in the Greater Los Angeles area. Loans are available for technical, vocational and trade school, and undergraduate and graduate education. Loan amounts average $3,000, with reduced payments while students are in school, increasing three months after graduation. Students must be enrolled full-time with a GPA over 2.5 and two California-resident co-signers over the age of 25 with a steady income and good credit. Please note: loan amounts and residency requirements vary depending on the program. To learn more on how to apply, visit https://www.jfla.org/other-loans/student-loans/.

Teacher Loan Forgiveness/Repayment Programs

If you have borrowed a Federal Student Loan that is in good standing (Stafford/Direct/Perkins) and you intend to teach in the K-12 school system full-time, you may qualify for the Loan Forgiveness Program. The Federal Teacher Loan Forgiveness Program offers cancellation of up to $5,000.00 of your Stafford/Direct loan for five years of teaching in a low-income school and up to $17,500.00 if you teach math, science, or special education in high school or special education in elementary school. To learn more, visit the Federal Student Aid website.

CSUDH Short Term Loan

Short Term Loans for up to $400 are available to assist students with unexpected expenses and to purchase books when awaiting a financial aid offer. Please read, sign and email your complete application to the Financial Aid Office email finaid@csudh.edu

Download the CSUDH Short Term Loan Application.

Click on the link below to view helpful videos related to grants, work-study programs, and more.

Grant Programs

A Message on Student Fees
The CSU makes every effort to keep student costs to a minimum. Fees listed in published schedules or student accounts may need to be increased when public funding is inadequate. Therefore, CSU must reserve the right, even after fees are initially charged or initial fee payments are made, to increase or modify any listed fees. All listed fees, other than mandatory systemwide fees, are subject to change without notice, until the date when instruction for a particular semester or quarter has begun. All CSU listed fees should be regarded as estimates that are subject to change upon approval by the Board of Trustees, the Chancellor, or the Presidents, as appropriate. Changes in mandatory systemwide fees will be made in accordance with the requirements of the Working Families Student Fee Transparency and Accountability Act (Sections 66028 - 66028.6 of the Education Code).