Graduation Application

Application Filing Periods

The Electronic Application for Graduation must be submitted in accordance with the following schedule. The fees for applying to graduate are due 48 hours after you submit your online application. Failure to apply in accordance with the schedule below could delay your degree past your intended graduation date. Also, there will be additional fees assessed for submitting the graduation application and/or fees after the regular deadline.

Degree Conferral TermApply for GraduationApply for Graduation with Late Fee
Fall SemesterJanuary 1 - July 1July 2 - September 15
Spring SemesterJune 1 - October 1October 2 - Last day of fall semester
Summer SessionNovember 1 - February 1February 2 - April 15

Please note that if the above dates fall on a weekend or holiday, the deadline will be the following business day.

Graduation Applications Submitted Before or By the Deadline

The Degree Checks (Graduation Evaluations) for students who submit the Application for Graduation by the published deadlines are reviewed in date received/filed order. The timely filing of the Application for Graduation will insure the degree checks will be processed prior to the last day to add classes for the term of anticipated graduation. Graduation Applications submitted before or by the deadline require a $85.00 processing fee. Once you have submitted the electronic application for graduation, the fee will appear in your student account. This fee must be paid within 48 hours and prior to the regular deadline, otherwise an additional $15 fee may be applied. 

Graduation Applications Filed After the Deadline

Applications and/or fees submitted after the regular deadline require an additional $15.00 fee applied to the $85.00 graduation processing fee. These fees must be paid within 48 hours.

Bachelor Degree Candidates

Each prospective undergraduate student must file for graduation. A student is eligible to apply for graduation if fewer than 10 courses are needed to complete the degree and after completion of 90 semester units. Please direct all questions regarding graduation procedures to the The Registrar's Office at (310) 243-3645 or by email at

Master Degree Candidates

Each prospective graduate student must file for graduation. For further questions, please contact your major department or the The Registrar's Office at (310) 243-3645 or by email at


Graduation Evaluation

Bachelor's Degree Candidates

Please use the catalog under which you were admitted for all requirements.

An updated list of approved courses satisfying all components of the program is printed in the Class Schedule and in the University Catalog. First–time freshmen must meet the requirements of the General Studies program. Transfer students who have remained in continuous attendance at a campus of the CSU or the California Community Colleges since 1980–81 have the option of choosing this program or the General Education Program described in catalogs prior to 1980-81.

Certification of Lower Division General Education/Studies Requirements

Accredited postsecondary colleges and universities offering the B.A. or B.S., or the first two years of such degree programs, may certify partial completion of the lower division General Studies requirements according to procedures specified in CSU Executive Order 342. CSUDH will accept a maximum of 40 semester or 60 quarter units toward our General Studies program. An additional nine semester units of upper division General Studies courses must be completed at CSUDH. (See the "General Studies" section of the catalog.)

Graduate Degree Candidates

Please use the catalog under which you were admitted for all requirements.

Requirements for the Minor

Please use the catalog under which you were admitted for all requirements.

Students who select a major in one of the Single Fields Majors are not required to complete a minor toward completion of the degree.

Minimum Unit Requirements

Bachelor's Degrees

  • A minimum of 120 semester units is required for the bachelor's degree. Students earning a B.S. degree may be required to take up to 132 semester units. A maximum of 24 semester units earned through extension, correspondence, and the United States Armed Forces Institute (USAFI) may be accepted toward a bachelor's degree.
  • A minimum of 40 semester units of upper division credit must be completed.
  • A minimum of 30 semester units must be completed in residence at CSUDH.
  • At least 24 of the 30 units must be upper division.
  • At least 12 of the 24 upper-division units must be in your major, and for a declared minor, at least half of all upper division units must be completed at CSUDH.
  • At least 9 units of General Studies must be completed at CSUDH.

Graduate Degrees

  • A minimum of 30 approved semester units, or more, as required by the particular program.
  • A minimum of 21 semester units in residence after admission to the program offering the degree.
  • Only upper division and graduate level courses can be used.
  • Not less than one-half of the total units in graduate (500 level) courses.
  • Not more than nine semester units of 500 level courses taken prior to admission to conditionally classified or classified status.
  • Not more that six units for a thesis or project.
  • Not more than six units for independent study.
Graduating With Honors

An undergraduate student who has completed a minimum of 36 units in residence at CSUDH with a grade point average of 3.40 or better may be a candidate for graduation with honors.

The criteria for graduation with honors are:

  1. A minimum of 36 units in residence;
  2. A minimum grade point average of 3.40 on all units taken at CSUDH;
  3. A cumulative grade point average as outlined below on all acceptable undergraduate work:
3.40 – 3.59Cum Laude
3.60 – 3.79Magna Cum Laude
3.80 – 4.00Summa Cum Laude

Individual departments may also have departmental honors policies which are described in each of the program sections of the university catalog.

Students who achieve the above honors will have the information recorded on their transcripts and diplomas.

Your Diploma

The process of conferring degrees takes approximately four to six weeks and begins two weeks after grades are submitted at the end of the term.

Once the degree is conferred and posted to the transcript, an email is sent to the student's CSUDH email account and a diploma is requested.

Diplomas are mailed directly to the student’s address. Students may update this address by accessing their account. When the diploma is shipped, students will receive a second notification in their CSUDH email address.

What's On the Diploma

  • Your name as it appears on your student record. You may add an additional name, but you may not remove the name that appears on your record unless an official Change of Name/Address Form [PDF] and appropriate documentation has been submitted with documentation. You may find out more information on changing your name here.
  • Your degree (BA, BS, MA, MBA, MS) and major with minor.
  • If you have a double major with the same degree both majors will appear on your diploma. (e.g., BA in Psychology and History)
  • If you have a double major with two degrees, you will receive two diplomas. (e.g., BA in Psychology and a BS in Computer Science)
  • If you have a double major with two degrees and a minor, the minor will only appear on one diploma.
  • If you meet the GPA requirements, University Honors (Cum Laude, Magna Cum Laude, or Summa Cum Laude) and Honors in the Major (if your department has nominated you) will also appear on the diploma.

Requesting an Additional Copy of Your Diploma

You may hand-carry or mail a Diploma Reorder Form [PDF] and $15.00 check or money order made out to CSUDH to:

Office of Admissions and Records
Graduation Unit
1000 E. Victoria Street
Carson, CA 90747


For more information, visit the commencement webpage.

Reactivation of Graduation

The Undergraduate Request for Reactivation of Graduation is for CSUDH students who previously filed to graduate, did not maintain continuous attendance, and believe that all degree requirements have been completed. 

The Undergraduate Request for Reactivation Form [PDF] should be printed and completed at the University Advising office (WH-220). Students may be required to resubmit transcripts from all other colleges and universities attended. These transcripts must be official and submitted in a sealed envelope. Students who have been academically disqualified from the University and have not yet been reinstated are not eligible for reactivation; the student must be reinstated before filing for reactivation. 

Reactivation is not admission to CSUDH

Students with outstanding requirements to graduate will need to complete these requirements prior to applying for reactivation. Students who are interested in completing the outstanding requirements at CSUDH may reapply to the University. Please refer to Admissions deadlines for the next available term to apply.   

Students who reapply to the University and are readmitted are responsible for all University requirements in effect at the time of reactivation or readmission. These may include, but are not limited to, the current General Education pattern and the Graduation Writing Assessment Requirement (GWAR).